Last Updated on 07/04/2021 by 75385885
IAS 29 Financial Reporting in Hyperinflationary Economies
1 This standard shall be applied to the financial statements, including the consolidated financial statements, of any entity whose functional currency is the currency of a hyperinflationary economy. IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29
2 In a hyperinflationary economy, reporting of operating results and financial position in the local currency without restatement is not useful. Money loses purchasing power at such a rate that comparison of amounts from transactions and other events that have occurred at different times, even within the same accounting period, is misleading.
3 This standard does not establish an absolute rate at which hyperinflation is deemed to arise. It is a matter of judgement when restatement of financial statements in accordance with this standard becomes necessary. Hyperinflation is indicated by characteristics of the economic environment of a country which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- the general population prefers to keep its wealth in non-monetary assets or in a relatively stable foreign currency. Amounts of local currency held are immediately invested to maintain purchasing power;
- the general population regards monetary amounts not in terms of the local currency but in terms of a relatively stable foreign currency. Prices may be quoted in that currency; IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29
- sales and purchases on credit take place at prices that compensate for the expected loss of purchasing power during the credit period, even if the period is short; IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29
- interest rates, wages and prices are linked to a price index; and IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29 IAS 29
- the cumulative inflation rate over three years is approaching, or exceeds, 100 %.
4 It is preferable that all entities that report in the currency of the same hyperinflationary economy apply this standard from the same date. Nevertheless, this standard applies to the financial statements of any entity from the beginning of the reporting period in which it identifies the existence of hyperinflation in the country in whose currency it reports.