1 The objective of this IFRS is to establish principles for the presentation and preparation of consolidated financial statements when an entity controls one or more other entities.
Meeting the objective
2 To meet the objective in paragraph 1, this IFRS
- requires an entity (the parent) that controls one or more other entities (subsidiaries) to present consolidated financial statements;
- defines the principle of control, and establishes control as the basis for consolidation;
- sets out how to apply
… Continue reading
5 An investor, regardless of the nature of its involvement with an entity (the investee), shall determine whether it is a parent by assessing whether it controls the investee.
6 An investor controls an investee when it is exposed, or has rights, to variable returns from its involvement with the investee and has the ability to affect those returns through its power over the investee.
7 Thus, an investor controls an investee if and only if the investor has … Continue reading
19 A parent shall prepare consolidated financial statements using uniform accounting policies for like transactions and other events in similar circumstances.
20 Consolidation of an investee shall begin from the date the investor obtains control of the investee and cease when the investor loses control of the investee.
21 Paragraphs B86–B93 set out guidance for the preparation of consolidated financial statements.
22 A parent shall present non-controlling interests in the consolidated statement of financial position within equity, … Continue reading
27 A parent shall determine whether it is an investment entity. An investment entity is an entity that:
- obtains funds from one or more investors for the purpose of providing those investor(s) with investment management services;
- commits to its investor(s) that its business purpose is to invest funds solely for returns from capital appreciation, investment income, or both; and
- measures and evaluates the performance of substantially all of its investments on a fair value basis.
Paragraphs B85A–B85M provide … Continue reading
Except as described in paragraph 32, an investment entity shall not consolidate its subsidiaries or apply IFRS 3 when it obtains control of another entity. Instead, an investment entity shall measure an investment in a subsidiary at fair value through profit or loss in accordance with IFRS 9.^1
^1 Paragraph C7 of IFRS 10 Consolidated Financial Statements states “If an entity applies this IFRS but does not yet apply IFRS 9, any reference in this IFRS to IFRS 9 … Continue reading